March 4, 2013

Day 56: Sad News

I awoke today to some very sad news. One of the girls in my program unfortunately lost her 17 year old brother over the weekend. She was in Prague upon hearing the news and with the assistance of the American Embassy was sent home via plane. I do not know all the details, but her brother and a friend were speeding when they crashed. I do not know the condition of the other person. Please keep Peg and her family in your prayers.

My day started with Italian class. We learned colors (why I have never learned this before I do not know) and had an odd conversation about Furbies and a pig that Massimo has that oinks when you open the fridge so you don't cheat on your diet. then I had a presentation with Joe in Dante class. It went ok, but my wrist was in so much pain I could barely speak. Then I had the general meeting. I met the new resident manager, Laura B. (Carlotta was just her fill-in while she was on maternity leave). We got the itinerary for our weekend trip which I will announce where to later :)
I then had the longest Art history class of my life. I was in so much pain I thought I would throw up. Midway through Laura C. came in and took me out of class. She told me she had spoken with Alesssndro and they were very concerned about my wrist and that she made me an appointment to get more xrays.
I went to San Lorenzo Church for an architecture visit and left a little early to go to my appointment. Laura spoke with all the people for me and translated when needed. I was once again asked if I was pregnant and Laura seemed particularly uncomfortable to have to translate this. I got my xrays. The technician spoke English so Laura stayed in the waiting room at that point. The doctor works in the mornings so I won't get results until tomorrow.
Having to twist my arm for the xrays was excruciatingly painful. On my way home I was in a sort of pain cloud which caused me to be extremely disoriented. It took me a long time to get home, as I honestly didn't know where I was, not because I was lost but because I could not focus on anything but the pain.
My only wish in life is to not be in pain anymore. I want to know what is wrong with my wrist and I want it fixed. I don't want to sit in class praying my wrist will stop throbbing. I want to be able to write and type. I want the constant nubness to fade and for my hand not to be icy all the time. I want to regain the feeling and be able to use my pinky, ring, and middle fingers. I want to pick something up without feeling like someone is trying to cut my thumb off. I want to be better again.
Some pictures of my hands: 
left (normal)
right (injured)
right (injured)

left (normal)
right (injured)
left (normal)

1 comment:

  1. Eeeeeuuuwwww... your hand is very puffy. I'm glad you had more x-rays taken. Hopefully they can finally tell you what is wrong.

    ReplyDelete