January 28, 2013

Day 21: How I Spent 7,40€

My meal plan in Florence consists of 4 dinners and breakfasts at home (MTWTh) and a 40 Euro supplement for my other meals. This, however, does not cover the cost of 3 breakfasts, 7 lunches, and 3 dinners. So instead of spending between 3 and 10 Euro for lunch like my classmates, I go to the supermercato and buy things to make meals. The trick is I do not have a refrigerator, microwave, stove, oven or any other food preparation equipment. Every week I buy something different. So here is how I spent 7,40 Euro:
1) 3 apples= 1,37
2) 3 bananas= 1,10
3) 6 pack of water= 1,00
4) Loaf of wheat bread= 1,00
5) Jar of "nutella"= 1,86
6) Bar of chocolate= 0,92
7) Reusable plastic bag= 0,15
Total= 7,40
Now an explanation of my purchases:
1 & 2) fruit is a cheap, filling and healthy option for meals. They are good for snacks, a lunch side dish or breakfast. I bought 6 this week so I could have one each day for lunch and then for breakfast Friday.
3) A bottle of water can cost anywhere from 0,50 to 2,50 at restaurants and vending machines. This week San Benedet was on sale for 1,00!! I was so excited! It was a pain to carry home, but it will last me at least through the week, if not longer and save me probably 5 to 8 Euro.
4 & 5) I wanted to get peanut butter for sandwiches, but it was too expensive (3,00 for a tiny jar). Instead I got store brand nutella. Its not the healthiest thing, but paired with fruit, its still better than greasy pizza or salty meat sandwiches. I figured I can also cut up bananas to put on the sandwich some days. The jar should last me a few weeks and the loaf will hopefully stay fresh through next week. Even if it molds, I will just get another loaf. I also plan to get jelly next week.
6) Obviously the chocolate bar purchase was not a necessity, but I got for fun (also chocolate here is DELICIOUS).
7) I couldn't fit everything in my backpack, so I got a plastic bag. The bags are thicker and bigger than their U.S. counterparts, so I will just reuse it every week.

Now, a quick overview of my day:
7:10- 8:30 Wake up, get dressed, breakfast, walk to school
9:00- 10:30 Italian
11:00- 12:30 Library (Dante was cancelled due to a death in Alessandro's family)
12:30- 1:00 General Meeting- distribution of schedules and food allowance
1:30- 3:00 Art History lecture
3:30- 5:00 Architecture outing to Barello and Palazzo Vecchio (SOOOO COLD!!!)
5:20- 5:40 Grocery
5:50 Home
8:00 Dinner-

No comments:

Post a Comment